Code Enforcement

Jamie Fisher, Code Enforcement Officer
City of Live Oak – City Hall Annex
416 Howard St. E, Live Oak, FL 32064
Phone: (386)-249-9417


Dear Resident,

The Code Enforcement Office presents a guide to the codes of the City of Live Oak and our role in serving the needs of the community.

The preservation and the improvement of housing and property standards are our primary concern and one that results in a positive effect on both property value and neighborhood pride. We are here to help the people of the community maintain the standard of living they desire and deserve.

Our office is concerned with compliance, and this guide is designed to assist and provide information to help you understand the various codes of the City and your role in maintaining your property in accordance with the code.
We look forward to working with you in any way possible. If you have any questions about our program or process, please call us at (386) 362-2276. We are here to assist you.

Code Enforcement
City of Live Oak, Florida


Code Enforcement


Code Enforcement Mission

Code Enforcement strives to improve the quality of life for our citizens
Fairness, Consistency, and Integrity.




I. Operations

The Code Enforcement Section is staffed by the Code Enforcement Officer assigned to field inspection, Planning & Zoning Development Manager, and the Building Official. All are responsible for administering the various codes and ordinances adopted by City Council, designed to provide safe, clean, and attractive neighborhoods.

The Code Enforcement Officer is responsible for investigating complaints of violations called into our office, or by initiating investigations observed while in the field. Complaints are generally handled within two to five working days of receipt. Emergency situations which may be a safety threat to the community are handled immediately.

The majority of the complaints we deal with are those for overgrown grass/weeds, junk on private property, or debris dumped on swales, abandoned, or derelict, unroadworthy, or unlicensed vehicles, deteriorated housing conditions, illegal signs, and zoning violations.

Investigations, where a violation is present, will result in a courtesy notice to the occupant to comply with the violation, or a written Notice of Violation, or possible further action by the Special Magistrate.

The most important action the property owner or occupant can take is to comply with the violation within the specified time frame. Our priority and goal are voluntary compliance, which saves us all time and money. If additional time is required to correct a violation, please contact the Code Enforcement Officer. We are more than willing to grant reasonable requests whenever possible in order to gain compliance.

Summary of Typical Enforcement Action

1. Citizen Contact – We try at all times to make personal contact with a property occupant when a violation is observed. If personal contact can not be achieved, an alternative method of contact is to place a hanger on the knob at the front door briefly explaining the violation, the compliance remedy, and time frame for completion. There are no fines, or penalties imposed. The property will be re-inspected after the agreed time, and if the violation remains, the officer will take the next step.

2. Notice of Violation –This is an official notice stating the violation(s), and providing the remedy, and the time frame within which the violation shall be corrected. A follow-up inspection will be made after the time provided to determine compliance.

The follow-up inspection will provide further evidence and necessary documentation with photographs of the violation record. If the violation remains active, the property owner is notified by Certified Mail of further action to be taken by the City. Such actions may include a hearing before the Special Magistrate, having a vehicle removed, or removal of junk. All of which are subject to costs being paid by the property owner.

3. Notice of Hearing – This is a Certified Mail Notice advising that the violation has met compliance within the time allowed; the next action will be a hearing before the Special Magistrate.

4. Code Enforcement Special Magistrate – The Special Magistrate is given authority by Florida State Statute 162, to: Hear evidence from the City, and the property owner, to enter rulings allowing time to bring into compliance and may impose fines of up to $250.00 per day for each violation. Repeat violators may be fined up to $500.00 per day. Special Magistrate rulings may be appealed to Circuit Court within thirty (30) days of the ruling.

5. Liens – Fines accrue daily until the violation is brought into compliance, and are recorded as a lien against the property. Foreclosure is provided for by Florida State Statute and may be instituted when the unpaid fine has been in place for three months. The lien remains on the property for 20 years.

II. Common Code Information

Mosquito control, water Collections Prohibited, this means any vessels (tires, bird baths, etc.) that can collect water and breed mosquitoes must be maintained by preventive measures outlined in the ordinances or removed.

Motor vehicles located on a privately owned property cannot be inoperable, unlicensed, in any state of major disassembly, disrepair or in process of being stripped or dismantled. Exception: A motor vehicle undergoing a major overhaul or an unlicensed motor vehicle shall be located in a fully enclosed building designed and permitted for this purpose.

Dogs must not run at large and must be kept on a leash when off the owner’s property. Excess barking or howling is a nuisance to the neighborhood. 

Animals not allowed include pigs, hogs, poultry, horses, cows, goats are an example of animals that are not allowed in residential areas. Areas zoned Agricultural within the City of Live Oak do allow for horses and cows, however, special restrictions do apply.

Vermin harborage is caused by an accumulation of trash, debris and/or garbage. You are required to store all trash and garbage in covered containers. Firewood piles should be elevated off the ground and stacked with open spaces so as to allow air flow through the wood pile. Yard waste should be disposed of promptly, and trash shall not be allowed to accumulate.

Overgrown grass shall mean grass, weeds, or undergrowth in excess of sixteen inches in height from the ground. All properties shall be maintained to reduce vermin harborage and for the safety and aesthetics of the neighborhood.
Business Tax Receipt (formerly Occupational License) is required if you are operating a business in the City limits of Live Oak. All businesses are regulated by Zoning Codes and may only be operated from a location with appropriate zoning. You may call Live Oak City Hall for verification of zoning and information in obtaining Business Tax Receipt information.

Commercial vehicles are any truck, trailer, bus, or tractor, over 7,000-pound capacity, or over 8’ high, or more than 22’ long, or any vehicle with more than 10 square feet of signage on it, or three (3) or more axles regardless of weight. Commercial vehicles cannot be kept or parked in a residential area. Official vehicles of City, County, or State governments, and public utilities are exempt.

Garage sales/Yard sales permits are required and shall be by telephone to City Hall a minimum of 48 hours prior to the sale date. Garage Sales/Yard Sales are only allowed at residences, no commercial locations are allowed. A residence shall be limited to no more than twelve (12) Garage Sales/Yard Sales annually. Signs are required to conform to the Sign Ordinance Please call City Hall when you are planning on having a Garage Sale/ Yard Sale.

Sidewalks were installed for the purpose of pedestrian access. Please keep the sidewalks free and clear from obstruction. Do not block the sidewalk with your vehicle.

Tree removal may require a Tree Removal Permit. Contact the Zoning & Land Development Regulation Department at City Hall for information before you decide to remove any tree. Tree trimming should be done according to the American Arborist Association Standards. If you hire a tree or landscaping contractor, make sure they are properly licensed and insured. Dead, or diseased trees should be removed promptly so as not to constitute a danger to the surrounding area. Required Commercial Landscaping cannot be altered or removed prior to plan submittal and approval by the Zoning & Land Development Regulation Department. Live Oak trees are protected by City Ordinance.

Littering is prohibited. Please do your part to keep our City clean.

Swimming pools must be enclosed by an approved safety barrier. This includes above ground pools capable of a water depth of 24 inches or greater. A safety barrier is considered to be a fence at least four feet in height, or a screened enclosure around the swimming pool. All fences must have self-closing, self-locking mechanisms. All doors and windows opening onto the pool area shall be alarmed or a pool barrier installed.

Driveways and Parking Lots are required to be maintained by the property owner

Landscaping and planting must be maintained according to applicable Codes. When landscaping, consider xeriscape (drought resistant) planting materials, as they require minimal watering.

Building permits are required for most construction activity. Some repairs to existing structures may not require a permit, you should always check with the building official prior to commencing any type of construction. Construction without a permit could result in penalty fees and possibly removal of the unpermitted work. When hiring a contractor, ensure they have current licenses and insurance and have obtained the required permits for your own protection and safety.

Fences and hedges have height and location restrictions. This is to ensure safety within property lines and to reduce intrusion into other property.  Along with meeting line of sight requirements for the safety of other vehicles and pedestrians. There are also requirements for the type of fencing and the method of installing fencing. Permits are required for all new and replacement fencing. Repair of fencing may require permits so please contact the building official for more information.

Please visit the Ordinance section, Building Department or the Planning, Zoning, & Development section of the website in order to view all the codes, regulations, and ordinances along with applicable permitting and applications.

This overview is not meant to be a complete explanation of all the City Codes, but as a guide of the most frequently asked questions and areas of concern. For more information, please feel free to visit:, City Hall, or call the Code Enforcement Section for more information.